Access Denied Creating Folders on Network

Ask any support questions here
JoyceAE

Access Denied Creating Folders on Network

Post by JoyceAE »

I noticed this morning that all of a sudden I am unable to create any folders in shared directories on my other computer on my home network. I am running Windows 7 64-bit with workgroups (not homegroup) on both machines. For every shared folder on my networked PC, I get an error message 'Access denied'. I have no problems creating these folders using Windows Explorer. I have been using version 1.3.4.485 for the past month or so and today is the first day that I have had this problem. I have the same problem going from either PC to the other. My desktop is hard-wired while my laptop is wireless.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? I double-checked my permissions on the shared folders and nothing has changed. I use Everyone with Read/Write permission on all shared folders.

Thanks,
Joyce
JoyceAE

Re: Access Denied Creating Folders on Network

Post by JoyceAE »

Anyone else experiencing this problem? It is really annoying when I can't create folders on my desktop over my home network. I can copy new folders using Teracopy and can delete folders but it won't let me create them. I have to use another Explorer application to create a folder.

I would appreciate a response from the developers on this. I am running Windows 7 64 bit on both my laptop and desktop.

Thanks,
Joyce
JoyceAE

Post by JoyceAE »

Anyone have an explanation for this yet? This is getting very annoying. Developers have any thoughts?

Joyce
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Hi Joyce,

If you've been using the same version of Explorer++ for a while, I'd say that it's probably an external problem. I'm only connected to a homegroup myself, but I was able to create folders ok.

It's always possible there could be a bug within the new folder code. But, without the ability to get more information, it would be difficult to diagnose. I did add some logging code relatively recently, but it's not been used in that area.

If you're keen to solve the problem, try downloading API monitor, and logging the API calls that Explorer++ makes. Keep an eye out for the CreateDirectory call. Once you've done that, just paste the relevant contents here. At the very least, the output will show the exact error been returned and the path that's been used.
JoyceAE

Post by JoyceAE »

David,
I tried running the API Monitor software but could not make head nor tail of how to get it to show the CreateDirectory code. I tried following the tutorials but they didn't produce any results. Do you have any suggestions on how I should go about using this software? Has anyone else figured out how to use this properly?

Joyce