Patch for hiding zip files from the treeview.

Discuss development issues and submit patches here
ajs

Post by ajs »

It adds a "Show zip files as folders" checkbox in Options -> Windows -> TreeView.
If the option is set (default state), the zip files are shown as folders in the treeview.
If the option is not set, the zip files are not shown as folders in the treeview.

In this second case, if the "handle zip" option is set and a user opens a zip file from the list view, the treeview will not show that and the listview and treeview will not be "sychronized".
My next patch will allow an "opened zip file" to be shown temporarily as a folder in the treeview if the user is navigating within the zip file. The "zip folder" will then disappear from the treeview is the user moves away from the zip file.

There are also other issues with the refresh of the treeview when creating/deleting zip files. The fix for those will be in a future patch.
Attachments
patch_19__v163.7z
(2.73 KiB) Downloaded 2171 times
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Patch for hiding zip files from the treeview.

Post by David Erceg »

Rejected, I'd rather not hide zip files.
ajs

Post by ajs »

David Erceg wrote:Rejected, I'd rather not hide zip files.
ok
quapurna

Post by quapurna »

David Erceg wrote:Rejected, I'd rather not hide zip files.
Sorry for asking.
Why was it rejected ?
Is there any technical issue so that it was/is rejected ?

If it is possible to provide an option to exclude zip file from the folder pane, then why not ?
I will use that option.

Thanks
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

I was a bit curt in my original reply, and I regret that. But, the point I made still stands. There are a lot of features that are requested, and I won't agree with them all. That means that I will have to say no sometimes, even if working code is provided.

Having said that, as a user, I completely understand how you feel. It's frustrating when a feature I really want (and other people want too) in some software never comes to fruition.

I'm sorry I couldn't give better news.
quapurna

Post by quapurna »

David Erceg wrote:I was a bit curt in my original reply, and I regret that. But, the point I made still stands. There are a lot of features that are requested, and I won't agree with them all. That means that I will have to say no sometimes, even if working code is provided.

Having said that, as a user, I completely understand how you feel. It's frustrating when a feature I really want (and other people want too) in some software never comes to fruition.

I'm sorry I couldn't give better news.

Halo, David.
Thank you for the reply.

May I conclude that actually there is no technical issue if that option is applied?
It means: if the option of excluding zip files from folder pane is properly implemented then Explorer++ will still operates properly.
Am I right with the above conclusion?

Thanks.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Yes, that's right.
quapurna

Post by quapurna »

David Erceg wrote:Yes, that's right.
Alright, Thanks
Bye.
jleslie48

Post by jleslie48 »

I'd like to have this feature re-considered. I spend a lot of time zipping up my folders and the way the folders are displayed it is very subtle what is a sub-directory and what is a zip file. I find it very annoying to have to page through the folders looking for a directory because the directory listing is overwhelmed with, in my case, dozens and dozens of zip files. While I can accept that some people consider zip files a directory, I do not and to have them on the left hand folder listing is degrading the usefulness of E++.
If this is a big project and an architecture change issue of the base software I could understand not putting in the switch to turn this on and off, but as E++ does not treat .rar and .gz files the same way, my guess is the exception handler for the .zip file is already in place and its a one day job to put a logical AND (&&) in that handler with the status of checkbox.
I do not wish to sound ungrateful for this amazing work you have done on this program, in the world of "apps" this is a diamond in a field of fools gold. I really appreciate all you have done in making this program available to us. Trust me, I only make comments and requests to software that I find great please consider my request/constructive criticism a compliment to a great program.

- Jon
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

I think you raise some good points and I think I was probably wrong in rejecting the patch. I did want to avoid going overboard with different options, but I can see how it would be useful. Given that it's been a few years, I'm not sure how cleanly the patch would apply, but if someone wants to test it and submit a pull request, I'm happy to look at it.