Font size

Ask any support questions here
Buzzliteyear

Font size

Post by Buzzliteyear »

Hi, is there a way to change the font size in the main two windows ( not preview window)

Cheers
Edgar5

Re: Font size

Post by Edgar5 »

Nobody's answered you, so…

The short answer is, "No."; the long answer is, "Yes, but you either need to be proficient writing/compiling code or use someone else's modified version of Explorer++."

I've made an extensively modified version of Explorer++ which gives the user the ability to change the font which is used most everywhere*. Changing the font size means that it is necessary to make all of the "things" (buttons, text fields, icon spacing etc.) font (especially size) sensitive. This requires a LOT of code changes. Anyone who would like to try out my modified version is welcome to do so (BUT it is imperative that you make a backup of your Registry before trying my version as my version makes changes to the Explorer++ Registry entries which are incompatible with the original version). Just let me know and I will put a current executable and/or source code on Dropbox.

* The Display Panel (at the very bottom above the status bar) already has its own font and an option dialog which allows you to change that font's family, size and style. The menus' font is controlled by the Windows Menu Font setting (fairly accessible in Windows 7, needs a third-party app to change the registry in Windows 10). The font used in all pop-up Dialogues is controlled by a Resource file and can only be (easily) modified by changing that file then recompiling.
markplus

Post by markplus »

Sorry for hijacking, but does it mean that you can't change the icons too? I'd like to make it more win10ish.
Edgar5

Post by Edgar5 »

markplus wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:35 pm Sorry for hijacking, but does it mean that you can't change the icons too? I'd like to make it more win10ish.
Generally, the same answer applies… Most (if not all) of the icons come from image files which are part of the source download. Getting the source and all dependent libraries installed and compiled may not be a task for the amateur but it is possible. Once you can compile, all you have to do is use your favorite graphics editor to modify the image files then recompile.
Buzzliteyear

Post by Buzzliteyear »

Thanks heaps Edgar:

some reason i did not get that you had replied.....sorry....

yes I would love to try your version please

Note: if I do not backup Registry will the original version not work if I want to change back ?

what backup program is best

regards
Brett
Edgar5

Post by Edgar5 »

First, especially in regard to Registry settings, my version is drastically different! This is mainly the GUI, a few bug fixes and a few enhancements. David's original Explorer++ relies heavily on storing settings in the Registry; my version follows that lead (at least for now). However, I have changed the spelling on some of the settings (to make it more obvious how the setting relates to the GUI) and added a lot of new settings. My version cleans out the original Registry settings completely (without making any attempt to save them) and re-creates the cluster entirely. I would VERY strongly suggest that you backup your Registry before attempting to run my version! The simplest ways to use the Registry Editor which is built into Windows (press the Windows key and also the R key simultaneously to bring up the "Run Dialog"; type in "regedit" - without the quotation marks - then press enter). From its "File" menu choose the "Export" entry; an export dialog opens. At the dialog's bottom left you will see 2 radio buttons - "Export Range", make sure that "All" is checked. Pick a suitable location for the file (Desktop will work) and use a name for the file which will be easy for you to recognize. When ready, click "Save". Do not do any updates to Windows or other applications or run any other applications after exporting your Registry and testing my version of Explorer++ (running other applications is not too big a deal - on restoring your old Registry you will lose any registry settings that those applications made; updating is a very big deal - don't do it). After testing my version (assuming you want to go back to the original Explorer++) follow the above steps to start the Registry Editor and choose the "Import" entry from the "File" menu - locate your saved Registry file and import it (it would probably be a wise idea to reboot Windows after importing).

A word of warning - this version is designed to run on high resolution monitors (at least 1920 x 1080); at lower resolutions some of the dialogs might be too large to fit the display.

I zipped up the executable and put it on my Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kziwp8ta75hw ... 9.zip?dl=0
There is currently no documentation on my GUI enhancements, bug fixes nor under-the-hood changes.The best place to start is to look at the Preferences Dialog.

I'm currently using Visual Studio 2017 to compile this code (which is based on Explorer++ 1.3.5). If anyone is interested in the source code, let me know; I will post this much larger zip file on my Dropbox.
Edgar5

Post by Edgar5 »

In response to a posting on another forum…
After "cleaning" the solution to remove some of the unnecessary files, I zipped up the entire Solution's folder and placed it on Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iopx2irn2yi3s ... 9.zip?dl=0
My version has a commandline switch which allows you to completely remove all references to Explorer++ from the Registry. The switch is:

Code: Select all

-clear_settings
ChipAHoy

Post by ChipAHoy »

The link above for the executable file that has a larger font version of Explorer++ isn't working.

I find the font too small to easily see - any plans to make future versions have a larger font? Is there any easy way to increase the font now?
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

I've been working on updating the application to support DPI scaling the last few days. So while I don't necessarily plan to add support for configurable font sizes, the application will scale with the system DPI. Which means you'll be able to get increased font/icon/window sizes by increasing the DPI.
Edgar5

Post by Edgar5 »

ChipAHoy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:14 pmThe link above for the executable file that has a larger font version of Explorer++ isn't working.
Sorry, a few days ago I removed the Dropbox files because I had made some minor bug fixes! If you wish to try my version make sure you read the warnings in the original post!
Remember, this is a 32-bit version; it is significantly different - many bug fixes and many enhancements;
here's just the executable:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/frpf08fwe739z ... e.zip?dl=0
here's the complete Visual Studio 2017 solution:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecu3yw184v2bc ... n.zip?dl=0