Window doesn't show in 1.4.0.831 if use the portable mode

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
ASD

Window doesn't show in 1.4.0.831 if use the portable mode

Post by ASD »

Window of the Explorer++ 1.4.0.831 doesn't show if set the portable mode by options.
JMN

Re: Window doesn't show in 1.4.0.831 if use the portable mode

Post by JMN »

Me too.
It doesn't matter if it is an empty config.xml file or one that had previously been working. This started around 3 months ago. It happens on both Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64 in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the app. There is no error message displayed. I enabled logging, but nothing is logged. Task Manager shows that the app is running.
freezer75

Post by freezer75 »

I can confirm this as well. I first noticed it a month or 2 ago. As noted, Explorer++ appears in task manager but no visible window. Using Spy++ I can confirm it does create the Explorer++ window; however, the window is missing the WS_VISIBLE style so the window is hidden from the user's view.

I haven't had a chance to look at the code, but problem is most likely either 1) the code is manipulating the WS_VISIBLE bit directly or 2) it's not calling ShowWindow(..., SW_SHOW);
freezer75

Post by freezer75 »

I found the cause and a solution. Use a good text editor (like Notepad++) and edit the Explorer++ portable config file (config.xml). Locate the following line:

<Setting name="ToolbarState" Button0="" Button1="" Button2="" .../>

My config file has ASCII character code 0x01 in between the doublequotes for each button. Remove this extra character leaving just "" for all buttons. Save the config file and run Explorer++.

The question is where did this 0x01 character come from? Did Explorer++ write that file to the config file? I know I didn't do that. Perhaps it was from an old version of Explorer++. Should the new version of Explorer++ be tolerant of this this character?

For now I'm up and running, and hopefully this helps others. Keep up the great work, I love Explorer++!
Coalcracker

Post by Coalcracker »

This issue still exists in 1.4.1087. Tried suggestion modifying ToolbarState. Worked, but closing Explorer++ then opening resets things back to original. I'll stick to 1.3 until remedied.
JMN

Post by JMN »

This issue still exists in 1.4.0.1637. It certainly appears to be something to do with the toolbar. When ToolbarState has all the default values I still saw the problem. Turning off the toolbar entirely (<Setting name="ShowToolbar">no</Setting>) while ToolbarState has all default values did not fix the problem. Currently with ShowToolbar=yes and <Setting name="ToolbarState" Button0="Back" Button1="Forward" Button2="Up" Button3="Search" Button4="Open Command Prompt"/> I do not see the problem. After a couple times of close and re-open the app, it's still working properly